Winter Doldrums? Spring is Coming!
After the holiday rush is over and winter has really set in, we begin to experience
the winter blues. According to the Mayo Clinic, “reduced sunlight can cause a
drop in serotonin that may trigger depression.” Some experience (SAD) seasonal
affective disorder which is a type of depression that’s related to changes in the
Some typical signs of winter blues include depression, having low energy, weight
gain, craving carbohydrates, sleeping more than usual and having little
Here are six steps that can help you get through the month of March.
Remind yourself that Spring begins March 20 !
- Get to the gym and work out. Releasing endorphins reduce depression and
make you feel good;
- Clean out your closet and start putting together all your spring and summer
- Set a goal to eat healthy and if needed, lose weight in the month of March
and April and focus on positive results;
- Plan something to look forward to. The easiest and most effective way to
lift yourself out of your funk is to plan something;
- Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that’s created when your skin is exposed
to sunlight. Low vitamin D can be responsible for depression and anxiety in
some people. Have your vitamin D levels checked;
- Purchase a light box which gives off light that mimics sunshine.
There is no reason that we have to wait for the warmer weather in order to feel
better. Begin today by implementing some of these remedies.
At The Hellenic Therapy Center, 567 Park Avenue, Scotch Plains, New Jersey, we
have a team of licensed professionals available day, evening and weekend hours.
Visit us at www.hellenictherapy.com, FB or call 908-322-0112.